Help me decide
Deciding about tuition
We understand the dilemma. On one hand you’re thinking “Maybe I’ll just wait and see how things work out”. And then your mind does an about-turn and thinks “If we don’t do something soon, it’ll become a bigger problem”.
If you really want to find out if your child needs tuition services, you need to consult an expert educator. You can do this for no cost by booking a free assessment with us. It doesn’t cost a thing and you’ll get a clear picture of how your child is doing compared to other children of the same age. You’ll also get specific information about weaknesses and strengths, as well as an indication of how tuition could make a difference. With this information on board, you’ll be in a better position to make a good decision.
Your child needs tuition at NumberWorks'nWords if he/she:
- Needs to increase skills
- Finds the discipline of homework hard going or needs homework help
- Says he/she is OK, but your instincts are telling you something's not quite right
- Wants to get into or stay in the top group and feels a tutor will help
- Needs a confidence boost before moving to a new school or sitting exams
- Loves learning and just can't get enough
- Can be disruptive during lessons or plays the class clown, to cover up for non-achievement
- Has clear strengths, but also has weaknesses
What to look for in a tuition provider
When you’re choosing a tutoring services provider, there are certain things that should be on your wish list:
- Appropriate qualifications for teaching children of your child’s age
- Experience with tutoring children that have similar needs to your child (i.e. catch-up, extension, exam prep)
- Tutoring programmes that are linked to the school curriculum
- Learning methods that are compatible with the way your child is taught at school
- The content of tutoring programmes is linked to the school curriculum, so you can be certain that everything learned will be relevant and useful.
- A system for setting goals and celebrating success
- A reporting system for communicating progress
- A track record that proves your money will be well spent
Our points of difference
We’re the original after-school tutoring businessNumberWorks'nWords was established in 1984 and is one of the world’s most experienced tuition providers. Educational professionals Maurice and Anne Smith, the people behind NumberWorks'nWords, are passionate about providing an essential service for students who are struggling, as well as those who need extension.
Our teaching methods are proven to workThousands of children have benefited from our after-school tutoring programmes. And they all add up to a truckload of evidence that the programmes really work. Because the world never stops changing, fine-tuning is happening all the time to accommodate new topics, curriculum changes and new information about how children learn.
Our assessment process gives you an honest picture of how your child is doingTo be effective, a tutoring programme must begin with a comprehensive assessment. After the assessment, which takes up to half an hour, your child will work with a tutor on some of our learning programmes while we give you a clear picture of how your child is doing. The assessment is free and there’s no obligation to sign up for tutoring.
We set goals together with you and your child that target what you would like to achieveThe goals are based on what we find from the assessment and what you and your child would like to achieve.
Your child gets an individual programmeOnce we know the goals, a customised learning programme is put together. The programme will target areas of weakness and/or opportunity, as well as consolidation of fundamental skills.
You get regular progress reportsIs your investment paying off? You have a right to know! The centre manager will regularly let you know how things are going with your child. Plus you’re welcome to ask questions whenever you’re dropping off or picking up from the centre.
One-on-one tutoring and independent learning timeTutors are always on hand to give individual instruction and help when needed. Importantly, students are also given time to work things through independently, knowing there is help available when required.
Students are rewarded for achievementOur studies show that students work best when they concentrate in ‘bursts’, with little breaks in between, and when their progress is regularly acknowledged. Our proven in-session reward system ticks both these boxes.
Learning is enjoyableSuccessful learning requires your child's full cooperation, and that's only going to happen if the NumberWorks'nWords experience is enjoyable. For younger students, we make sure learning is fun - entertainment is built into all our primary learning modules. For older students, it's less about fun and more about keeping things stimulating and interesting.
Our topics and learning strategies are compatible with the school curriculumThe experts who develop our learning programmes closely monitor what's happening in the primary and secondary education sector. At a classroom level, they know the current maths and English curriculum inside out. At a professional level, they follow new trends in teaching and recognise the impacts of government initiatives, such as national standards. You can be confident that the learning your child does at NumberWorks'nWords will dovetail perfectly with what's happening at school.
Has no more hassles with homework since coming to NumberWorks'nWords. She now understands the work and is happy to do homework on her own.
Enjoying her daughter's new found confidence and "I can do it" attitude
What you'll see at a tutoring session
- A busy, productive atmosphere with students and tutors all actively and happily occupied
- An effective learning environment based on success and enjoyment
- Students fully-engaged with their individual learning programmes
- Tutors working with students, when one-on-one attention is required
- Mini celebrations, as success is rewarded with certificates, treats and games
- The manager circulating - talking with parents, tutors and students to keep everything on track
- The tutor works
one-on-one with your child,
teaching their topic
- Your child completes computer
exercises to reinforce and
practice what has been learned
- The tutor
is always available
if help is needed
30+ years in the making
Our programmes have been painstakingly developed over many years by qualified maths and English experts. They are continually being updated, to allow for curriculum changes and new learning discoveries. You can be confident that our teaching methods are completely compatible with those used in schools, even those that are applying new numeracy strategies.
Ready to book an assessment?
If you’re still unsure whether your child needs a Maths or English tutor, or whether we’re the right provider, we recommend you book a free assessment. It costs nothing to find out where your child stands, and at the same time you can get a good look around one of our centres. Then you’ll be better equipped to make the best decision for your child.